Thanksgiving 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Water Problem Number 672. Or Is It Number 673?


About a week after our big tornado water-baling storm, we had another splendid storm. This one wasn't quite so violent, but CONSIDERABLY more prolific in its release of rainfall. Luckily our sump pump had power the whole time, because it was pumping water out every 15 seconds. That thing has to be about 10 gallons? So, 10 gallons every 15 seconds is no small feat. Chris and I were very thankful to have electricity, b/c at that rate, we might as well have gotten out our swimsuits - there was no way we were going to be able to keep up with the amount of water running into the basin!!

So, on the bright side, we had no sump pump issues, and no flooding issues. But, we did have water running down both the upstairs and basement fireplaces! And I don't mean inside the fireplace, I mean outside! (It was running inside the fireplace, but that's the least of our worries.)

Just 2 years ago, I had spent a small fortune have extensive chimney repair done to avoid this exact problem on the main floor fireplace. But now it was happening again, and to both fireplaces! We were not happy.

We did manage to get the company to come out and do quite a bit more work for no charge. Says the owner of the company, "We did...(this that and the other thing)..., which is significantly more than the original bid, and we will not charge you for the extra. But, if you're okay with that, we are, too." DARN right we're okay with that! Who knows how much additional damage we've had b/c you did a shoddy job in the first place! You're lucky we're not suing you or reporting you to the BBB!

I'm not sure we're ever going to win the battle against the water...

No comments: